Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Poem on the underground

What kin is my father to yours?
Who is your mother anyway?
How did you and I meet, but in love?

Our hearts have mingled like red earth and falling rain.

Sadly, I didn't come up with this. It was one of the featured poems on the London Underground a while back, I think around 2000, the summer of love #1, and I looked up and read it, as I was impatiently counting down the stops. It was hot, scorchingly hot, and my mind and eyes were full of everything. It was the summer everyone was reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin and it became customary to peer over the reader's shoulder to see where they were up to. So whilst my mind was darting on every which subject, I saw this poem and have never forgotten it. I know there is a trend for middle-aged, corny humour in this series of poems at the moment but this one made me float for the entire summer.

1 comment:

Huma said...

i am reading you x