Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A nostalgic activity

Is there anything more engrossing than making a mix-tape/play list for someone? Especially when you are handing over music you think they may not know. It was quite the teenage wooing technique back in my hood.. it demonstrated just how cool you thought you were. I used to go all out: mix-tape, complete with a highly-bespoke track list. The more I liked the person, the more effort I put in: frankly if it wasn't covered with stars and stickers it was a slap in the face. Obviously I moved with the times and upgraded to CDs, the now obsolete mini-disc and of course now it's all on itunes. I wonder if any of my friends or loves past still have them somewhere? Stashed under their bed or locked in a vault somewhere? I might put word out.

Of course, on the other side of making the mix-tape, there was the delight of receiving a mix-tape from a like-minded soul, be it new friend or love.

I think the mix-tape unites us all.

2 comments:

Huma said...

I have them. I have them all. In the loft, in a hat box. There's one I remember: listening to on my "walkman" (yes) on a holiday in Spain inbetween first and second year. I was on holiday with my parents and the only place I really wanted to be was back in halls. I can't remember the songs though, but I do remember the effort and the stars on the cover and the neat and tidy writing with the big loops.

Jeez. We were young.
x

Huma said...

Also: this sounds like something you would like

http://girlswholovetoread.blogspot.com/